On Sale Now at Amazon

Drucci Vincent

Drucci Vincent AKA The Schemer, Ludovico Di Ambrosio, Victor D'Ambrosio Born Vittorio D'Ambrosio in 1898 Died April 4, 1927. Born 1898 died April 4 1927Vincent "The Schemer" Drucci, who may have been born under the name DiAmbrosio, served two years in the navy during World War I and receiving an honorable discharge.  Coming home from war, he joined with other North Side gang then under Dion O’Bannon’s control.
     After O’Bannion was murdered on Nov. 10, Drucci fell into a leadership position. One of his first acts was to order the drive by shooting of Capone’s car on January 12, 1925. The attack was so vicious that Capone ordered a $30,000 bulletproof Cadillac as protection.  A few days later, Weiss, Drucci and Moran shot and seriously wounded Johnny Torrio as he arrived home from an afternoon of shopping with his wife.
   Between May and November of 1925, Drucci was a suspect in three murders including Angelo Genna, shot gunned to death, Tony Genna,
the third Genna bother to die within 44 days and the November 13 murders of gunmen "Samoots" Amatuna in a barbershop.
   In at least one incident during that time, Drucci was drawn into a battle with Genna gunmen Scalise and Anselmi, who riddled Drucci’s
Getaway car slightly wounding Drucci.
    On August 10, 1926 Drucci and Hymie Weiss walked towards Chicago’s Standard Oil Building for a scheduled meeting with Morris Eller, a sanitary district trustee and the political boss of the 20th Ward. As Drucci and Weiss began to cross at Michigan and Ninth Streets, an car with three gunmen pulled up and began shooting at the two.
The Northsiders returned fire and in all, 30 shots were fired, only one bullet finding a target, a bystander.
    Weiss managed to escape before police arrived. Drucci leaped onto the running board of a passing car shouting at the driver "Take me away, and make it snappy," but police surrounded the car and arrested Drucci.
   The North Siders retaliated with a spectacular drive by shooting
At the Hawthorne Inn in Cicero on the afternoon of September 20.
Hymie Weiss, leading a parade of at least ten cars, sprayed the place with over a thousand bullets, hoping to kill Capone. Remarkably, they missed.
   Capone struck back. On October 11, ambushing and killing O’Bannion thug Hymie Weiss in front of the Holy Name Cathedral.
During the shooting ambush, one innocent citizen was killed and another three were wounded.
    The public was outraged by the murders and the public shooting
And was calling for a crackdown on the hoods. Capone called for a city wide peace conference at the Hotel Sherman where a five point plan was drawn up and agreed to by the various gangs operating in the city. It worked, or at least it did for 70 days passed.    With peace filling the underworld, the hoodlums centered their attention on the upcoming mayoral election pitting incumbent mayor William E. Dever against former Mayor William Hale "Big Bill" Thompson.
  On election day, Capone army of thugs were chased off of the streets in an effort to prevent the violence that marred previous election days. known hoods were picked up on sight by roving bands of Chicago police and the Illinois National Guard was on standby.
   One election day eve,  Drucci and several of his thugs kidnapping Alderman Dorsey Crowe, a Dever supporter. The night before, they had knocked out a watchman and ransacked Crowe’s office.
   On Monday, a squad of policemen spotted Drucci, Henry Finkelstein and Albert Single on the streets. The cops searched the three men and found a 45 automatic pistol on Drucci and arrested him and held the other two for questioning.  Four policemen, including Patrolman Dan Healy and a lieutenant, were assigned to take the trio to the Criminal Courts Building where Green was waiting.
    As they got into the squad cars, Healy and Drucci got into an argument because Drucci objected to Healy grabbing his arm. Drucci called Healy a name and Healy punched struck Drucci in the back of his head, pulled his service revolver and said, "Call me that again and I’ll let you have it."
   According to Healy’s statement Drucci continued to threaten him saying, "I’ll get you, I’ll wait on your doorstep for you." When told to shut up, Drucci responded, "Go on you kid copper, I’ll fix you for this. Take your gun off and I’ll kick hell out of you." And then claimed that
Drucci pinched him in the face and shouted, "I’ll take you and your tool (gun)." And grabbed for the patrolman’s pistol. Healy  pulled his revolver and fired four times hitting Drucci with three shots.
    Henry Finkelstein, one of Drucci’s men said that Healy struck Drucci first. A scuffle began in the car and the driver pulled to a stop. One police officer exited the car, followed by Healy who abruptly stopped, turned on the running board and shot Drucci who was sitting with his hands on his lap. One way or the other, Drucci was shot in the left arm, right leg, and abdomen. He died on route to the hospital.
   Drucci’s attorney rushed to see Chief of Detectives William Shoemaker, demanding that Healy be arrested for murder. The chief replied "Arrest him? Hell We’re thinking about giving medal was being g him a medal."
   On April 7, Drucci’s $10,000, surrounded by $30,000 in flowers, flag draped, aluminum and silver casket lay in the Sbarbaro funeral home, the place for Chicago’s hoods to be waked. 
    The following day a crowd estimated at 1,000 followed the hearse, draped in an American flag to Mount Carmel Cemetery. There was a 21 gun salute by the honor guard, a bugler played taps and it was over.  Drucci’s wife was left with $40,000 in the estate. A substantial fortune for the time.